Top 10 Bridal Makeup Mistakes
Some women think the bigger the celebration the more dramatic the makeup should be. While I agree that makeup should always be professionally done for special occasions where pictures will be taken, I also think there are many times when less is best. At my central NJ Makeup StudioI do trials for my bridal clients and others that want to ensure they will not make the following mistakes!
1. Not hiring a Professional — A Professional makeup artist knows what formulas are camera ready. They know how to layer the products so they look natural and have staying power. They work with wedding photographers often, so they understand exactly how makeup translates in photos.
2. Not having a makeup trial — A makeup trial gives you peace of mind and ensures you will look the way you want to on your special day. Peace of mind, feeling relaxed and confident on your wedding day are priceless. Many Brides experience airbrush makeup for the first time during their makeup trial.
3. Wrong look — choosing pictures or requesting a look that doesn't work with their coloring or is too sexy for their Garden Themed daytime wedding (a smokey eye and the pale JLo lip are common requests.) can be a big mistake and have you looking out of place at your own affair. Makeup should match the look and feel of your wedding or event and a good makeup artist can guide you to what that look should be.
4. Touch-ups — Your makeup will last the entire day if done by a professional makeup artist, but you still need touch-ups. Having your lipstick, blush and liner can only help you - if you eat and drink, have people hugging you and putting their cheek on yours, and shed a tear or two your makeup will require minor touch-ups. Make sure you have what you need. I offer
complimentary trials with a purchase so my Brides are armed with their touch-up kits!
5. Too trendy — Trends come and go, classic makeup is timeless. In 10 years from now when you look at your wedding photos you want to believe they could have been taken yesterday. Don’t date your photos with the latest trends! Go with an elegant, timeless bridal makeup look. and you will never be sorry.
6. A look your uncomfortable in — bridal makeup is supposed to enhance what is pretty about your face and diminish what you may not be crazy about. If you choose an over-the-top look your are not used to wearing, you may not feel comfortable. Looking like you at your best is a good guideline for wedding day makeup. The Bachelorette party is the time to experiment and have fun with trendy or over-the-top makeup looks.
7. Not having the Bridal Parties makeup done — Sometimes some of the girls in the party will elect to do their own makeup, or go to the local makeup counter in an effort to save money. I like to suggest the Bride give the girls a morning of pampering as their gift - who doesn't love to be pampered gorgeous? Perhaps with a nice candle, robe or other personal item. Everyone looking their best, with all the individuals complimenting the whole makes for stunning wedding pictures. Having a mismatch of makeup looks and styles makes for less elegant photos. You've spent so much time, effort and money planning, this is one area often overlooked.
8. Too much shine —facial highlights are great if well done and not overdone. They can translate to a greasy look in photo's - another reason to hire a professional makeup artist - we will make your skin glow but still look gorgeous in your wedding pictures..
9. Tanning — Look in any Bridal magazine and you will not see tan Brides. Makeup works and looks best on your natural skin-tone and tanned skin does not always photograph well. Save the tanning for the honeymoon.
10. Trying something new — getting a facial, tanning, waxing a place you never have before or getting your teeth whitened in the weeks before the wedding can spell disaster. Breakouts, swollen gums and orange skin can leave you stressed and panicked. Stick to a good diet, exercise, lots of water and lots of sleep make for a happy Bride!
The best way to avoid these mistakes is to hire a professional who has a tremendous amount of experience with bridal makeup. Come in for a bridal trial and see how beautiful I can make you look on your wedding day. Contact me to set up your appointment today!